Think Like A Marketer Not A Clinician: - The Digital Practitioner

Sunday 15 July 2018

Think Like A Marketer Not A Clinician:


If you want to really grow your business and continually attract your Ideal clients that will return year after year then you really need to think like a marketer and not like a clinician.



Now for me in the first 5 years of running my optical practice, I was very dismissive of ‘marketing’ and every time a rep from the local newspaper or magazine called to offer ad space in their recent publication I used to get irritated, firstly by their salesy pitch and secondly by the flipping price!

Being naive and in the first few years I almost felt guilted into running the occasional ad and reluctantly paying a stupid amount with no real evidence of return on investment. 

Knowing what I know now, I can honestly say I may have well taken a match and sent the money on fire. In fact, that would have been more useful as at least it would have produced a tangible energy exchange and generated some light and heat!

My lack of acceptance and value on marketing my business was predicated on my experience with the traditional marketing system. 

In addition, I was basing the overall success of my business on the fact that 
1.    I was a qualified optometrist, 
2.    I’ve set up shop, therefore patients will attend.
3.   I’ll be sending out recalls, therefore I will get repeat business.

That’s fine, if you are the only optometrist in your county, or state and may have worked in 1985, but this is now 2018 and I’m not sure if you’ve noticed but the biggest technological advance in the history of the world has just occurred over the last decade. 




But, here’s the thing, the world has moved on, technology has advanced, but it amazes me that so many healthcare practices are still marketing their business like it’s 2007!

In order to get up to speed and ahead of your competition you simply must be aware of the most effective marketing methods for your practice today. 

In effect you need to know how social media and digital strategy can revolutionise your practice in how your customer perceives and associates themselves with your practice and how you can use this to acquire loyal and raving clients who will be with you for the long term. 



First things first: 

Adjust your perception of what marketing really is in 2018.

“Marketing Is Caring!” – Marketing is providing the consumer an insight into what you, your brand or business has to offer and positing yourself with integrity in such a way that they will find it difficult to overlook your business or brand because what you offer ultimately will provide the most relevant positive impact on their lives in solving a problem or enhancing their lifestyle. You are giving the customer what they want!





Apply this thinking to your products and services and then reverse engineer how you would present and position your marketing in front of your Ideal Clients. 

Focus on them, get creative and put your content out there in a consistent manner. 

by: Alan Bryden

No comments:

Post a Comment