Your Personal Brand & The One Thing Needed For All Your Content - The Digital Practitioner

Wednesday 27 June 2018

Your Personal Brand & The One Thing Needed For All Your Content


In taking a look at Instagram - it really sets itself apart from the other social networks offering multiple approaches in   how and what you post. 

It’s a creative canvas as well as a content generating monster and with the advent of IGTV, the platform is quickly becoming the one stop media centre for anyone wanting to grow their brand. 



Effectively at this point in time we have the power of a full blown media company right here in our mobile phone! Thats crazy. And whats more, there is no financial barrier to entry - the platform is free! Thats just insane! But this is the reality we live in. 

Just today I was looking at my own businesses and considering what kind of content I should be putting out there in order to cover the various streams and content channels. And I have to say it's overwhelming, if you are trying to attack each one individually. 



So here are my thoughts on what I am currently doing and I hope it is something you can yourself consider.  

It’s based on just 4 simple points.

1. Document instead of creating! This one sticks in my mind from Gary Vaynerchuk and is probably one of the most important pieces of advice, which is especially relevant today. With so many platforms and options out there, trying to create different pieces of content for an individual or small business would indeed require a fully functional media company. So the thing that I am doubling down on is creating one piece of ‘pillar content’ which will be 90% video content, that is purely based on documenting what I am doing and the process I am taking. 


This content can be repurposed and placed on all the different social media platforms to create more native content depending on the platform. 
2. Focus on the Personal (Grow Your Personal Brand). This is the most powerful thing you can focus on right now and applies even if you run your own practice or business or even if you’re an employee. Why?  Because, you’re going to evolve a lot over time. 

Your priorities, values and even the focus of your work. 

You’ll learn new things, maybe even start new companies or websites. 

And when you do, you don’t want to be leaving all the amazing work and followers that you acquired behind you. 

The following, readership, and the expertise; you can keep it all, if you stick to your name. So allow your online presence to evolve with you.

3. Do Video. Now for many people this may seem daunting. Often the thought of going live or recording a video can be too much never mind bringing across your true character, flaws, vunerabilities and all. 


I get that, believe me…from someone who had a crippling fear of public speaking and from my school days used to make up all the excuses of the day to avoid having to read aloud in English class as the teacher went round the room asking each student to take a turn with a few pages of the current English Lit book. 

The irrational fear of this simple task was horrendous for me to the point when I had to read I would forget to breathe and start shaking. With time, experience, practice and a stronger mindset you come to realise that we all have our flaws, insecurities and fears. 

I’ve never done any form of video work before but I made the decision to go live every day on Instagram (now on day 20!) and this has proved to be quite therapeutic for me. 

Even after a few days I could see my confidence grow and have become, I think, more natural in my videos.  

The one key aspect I have noticed is that yes, you need to prepare what you want to talk about if you are bringing across an informative video, but don’t overthink it before going live. Just hit live, start having a conversation and be natural - Just be you!

4. Just Start! It’s as simple as that. Starting is the most important part and the biggest hurdle that most people are facing. 

Don’t let the fear of being judged, or the insecurity of thinking “do I really know what I’m talking about” stop you.  

Pondering and strategising has prevented me from making content for probably 7 months from when I conceived 'The Digital Practitioner’. 

Stop debating what’s going to happen and just get yourself out there. 


I hope you found this useful. As always I would love to hear your thoughts and feedback or indeed any questions you may have. AB

by: Alan Bryden





No comments:

Post a Comment